Goldline CDL Training:
Our program is similar to Same Day Train/Test courses you may have heard about, but we feel drivers are more successful when they have more time to absorb the information being taught; therefore, our One Day Training is actually TWO or MORE DAYS.
- Day One: We’ll meet for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, where you’ll drive and we will evaluate your skill level. This session includes review of pre-trip inspection, backing/parking skills training and real-road driving.
- Day Two: We’ll either meet for additional training or go to the Dubuque DOT for another 1 to 1-1/2 hours where we will have time to go over the pre-trip inspection and drive the actual route before testing.
- Average length is 3 hours, but is ultimately dependent on the individual’s skills:
- Adequate skills in all driving aspects
- Proficient backing and parking skills
- Knowledge of all areas to be inspected
- Must have written tests taken and possess a valid Permit. (general knowledge, air brakes and combination). You cannot take the test until you have possessed the permit for 15 days.
- We are not a school and this program is not for persons who wish to be over-the-road truck drivers.
- Cost of our program is $350 which is due at first session.
- If you have any questions, please contact Dorrance Hogan 563-920-9607
What you get:
- Manual transmission truck and trailer to use for DOT exam
- One-on-one sessions
- Pre-trip inspection training
- Backing skills training
- Parking skills training
- Real-life road driving
- Pre-drive DOT exam route
- Fuel needed from evaluation through testing
- No extra charge for return testing
What we do:
We take care of all scheduling with the test site. We will walk you through what is needed to pass the pre-trip inspection, skills test, and driving test in order to get the Iowa Class A CDL. Our trainer stays with you throughout the one-on-one training process. We recommend that you study Section 11 in the CDL Manual; The air brake check is a very important part of the pre-trip inspection so read that section over before your appointment. We will also provide you with a check list and study materials.
Class A CDL Training Course
We work with you one-on-one to make sure you know what is needed to pass your Class A CDL. Using Goldline CDL for your CDL training will provide you with an easy to drive single axle, manual transmission truck and all of the information needed to pass the CDL tests.
We’ll meet for an evaluation, where you’ll drive to determine the amount of CDL training needed to successfully pass the tests. Evaluations and CDL training are done one-on-one in the evenings and on weekends that are convenient for you.
Pre-Trip Inspection Training
As part of the CDL training, we will provide a pre-trip checklist and complete a pre-trip inspection with you; identifying all parts to be inspected so you know the proper order and verbiage needed by the examiner. Dorrance works with you one-on-one until you know the correct way to complete the pre-trip inspection. They will stay with you the entire time and they will know when you have it or if you need more instruction and practice.
We will meet as needed for one-on-one practice sessions. Most students need to meet a couple times to become proficient to pass the Class A CDL Skills Test but, depending on prior experiences, sometimes the evaluation is enough. We set up safety cones in the same formation that the DOT examiners use, so you can practice all backing and parking maneuvers before testing day.
For the driving portion of the Class A CDL training, we will take to the road for real-life driving experience on streets and highways with Dorrance as your co-pilot. You must be able to double-shift properly to pass the driving portion of the test, so Dorrance spends a lot of time making sure you have improved that skill.
On test day, Dorrance will meet you at the Iowa DOT office in Dubuque. Once there, you guys will drive through the route, which will have many common driving conditions and hazards. Before you begin your Class A CDL testing, you’ll have a chance to review the pre-trip inspection again.
If for some reason you don’t pass, Dorrance will work with you to schedule retesting.